Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Land of Contradictions

If I had to choose one phrase to describe India it would definitely be "a land of contradictions."  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does keep things interesting.  I think it was the last time I was here that Will Smith was in India and was quoted in the paper as saying, "Anything that is true in India, the opposite is also true."  Here are some examples of what I mean:

  • My MIL's house has marble floors and granite counter tops, but no air conditioning.
  • I can have a weeks worth of clothes dry-cleaned for $2.50 but a washing machine is very pricey.
  • You see a beautiful Indian woman impeccably dressed in a gorgeous sari, perfect makeup and hair swept up into a stunning up-do.....  riding on the back of a scooter with a child in her lap, a husband driving and another child standing in front of the husband, weaving in and out of buses, cars and bikes.
  • Vikas calls a shop at 9:00 am the other day and asks "Are you open?"  "Yes," the person says.  "What are your hours?"  "10:00 - 6:00" is the reply.  "So I can come in now?"  "No! We're open from 10:00 - 6:00."   sigh.....
  • You're expected to make a full breakfast for the entire family BEFORE you have your tea in the morning.  That one doesn't need explaining does it?  (Fortunately my family is not unreasonable and there's someone else here doing most of the cooking for a few days.)
India always keeps me guessing.  I guess maybe that's why some of the smartest people in technology and medicine are coming out of India.  You have to be able to hold two conflicting beliefs in your head at all times in order to function here, and you have to be willing to think outside the box and go with the flow.  That's also why a visit to India is always a life-changing experience.  Everyone who's ever visited here says the same thing.  It definitely forces you to grow.

I'm grateful that we are here to spend time with Vikas's family and for Jasmine to have the experience of living in India for a while.  I know that this is the best education we can give her right now.

2 comments:

  1. Keep the posts coming. All of the information you are providing is just fascinating! I miss you and love you! Love to Jasmine, Vikas and family.

    ReplyDelete