Thursday, October 28, 2010

Coconut Trees

The nice thing about mornings in Udupi is that you can look out the windows of the flat and see coconut trees surrounded by mist for as far as the eye can see.  It's like looking at a beautiful postcard, or an exotic travel book.  It really is like being in a dream sometimes.

The not so nice thing about mornings in Udupi is that the picturesque moment I described above doesn't last long.  Before the sun is fully up you can hear the horns and motors of the rikshas, buses and cars in the town.  And before breakfast is ready it's already HOT outside.  There are lots of windows in the flat, and high speed ceiling fans, but no air conditioning.  At this point I have to accept and admit that I'm a spoiled American.  When it's 85 degrees and you're standing in the kitchen cooking over an open flame, it's hard to manage without the AC.  Last night, for the first time in my life that I can remember, while I was helping to make chappatis (Indian tortillas), I realized that my legs were sweating.  That's the first time cooking ever caused my legs to sweat.  And speaking of cooking, I have to cut this entry short because it's time to make lunch.  Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! You'll do great! I would love to be able to make chappatis - the only Indian bread I can successfully make are poori.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came back from texas and heard about the terrible news..I am so sorry..my deepest sympathy to Vikaas, you and family. I miss you guys..really loved it when you guys came over..for some reason I didnt get to talk to you all that much the last time you visited us..I dont know what had happened..but anyways, hang on in there Megha..you can email me or mesage me on facebook any time you want..if you need someone to talk to..I am always there for you..mu love to Jasmine and hello to Vikas..lots of love to you,
    Jyotsna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jyotsna. Vikas says he really appreciates it, too. Thanks for the support. I look forward to spending more time together when we get back. Hugs from all of us.

    ReplyDelete