Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Perpetual Pursuit of the Perfect Pleat

Sarees.  Who doesn't love them?  6 meters of gorgeous fabric, embellished with beautiful designs, embroidery, beads, sequins.  They come in cotton, silk, crepe, and a variety of different synthetic materials in all colors.  It's impossible not to look feminine in one, and almost impossible not to look graceful in one.  There are 108 ways to drape them.  They just seem to shout, "Look at me!  I'm so cool!"  So, it's no wonder that as soon as I met my husband I bought a saree (or sari) and tried to teach myself how to wear it.  I think back now to that first time I wore one, to the Indian restaurant no less.  What a mess I was.  I'm embarrassed for myself and all the Indians who had to see that spectacle every time I think about it.

When Vikas and I came to India to get married, my very gracious mother-in-law (whom I affectionately call "Sasu") was nice enough to try to teach me how to drape the saree properly.  When she wrapped it around me, it was beautiful.  So neat and tidy.  I paid careful attention so that I could recreate that look.  She had this way of making the saree show off my curves that was pretty amazing.  So, the next time we were going to her house, I picked out a beautiful blue cotton saree based on blue being my father-in-laws favorite color of the ones that I had, per Vikas.  I was so proud of myself.   I managed to get it draped all by myself and Vikas said I looked beautiful.  So, off to the in-laws we go.  When we got there we walked in and, using the opportunity to try to speak to them in hindi, I looked at them and said "Passand Aiah?"  That means "Do you like it?" in hindi.  I'll never forget for as long as I live the moment that followed.   My sweet, accepting, VERY gracious Sasu looked at me and said, " I thought I showed you, no?" 

So, for the last 11 years, I've been working on getting the saree right.  It's all about the pleats.  There are pleats that hang off of the shoulder to display the paloo which is the ornate end of the saree, and there are pleats in the front of the skirt.  Most of the fabric is taken up in the skirt pleats.  This is where my troubles always land.  In order for the saree to look proper, the pleats have to be evenly folded in the front and at the bottom hem.  It's seems that no matter how many times I drape the saree and work on getting the pleats right, that top pleat that's the most visible is usually not right.  And let's face it, it's impossible for me to be inconspicuous in India whether I'm wearing a saree or not.  But, when I wear a saree I get looked at three times as much.  People are surprised to see a white person in a saree and I think most of them are delighted to see foreigners taking such interest in their national dress.  I want to get it right for me and for them. 

It's been a long process for me but I think I look at least presentable in a saree now.  I usually get complements from the ladies saying I've done a good job putting it on and that I wear it nicely.  I'm pleased wit the progress I've made so far, but for now, I'm still in perpetual pursuit of the perfect pleat.

3 comments:

  1. I am hoping to post some pics soon. I'm unable to connect to wifi with my iphone here, which is where all my pictures are. And I'm having trouble uploading them to my computer for some reason. Send good technical mojo so I can get some pics of this trip up!

    ReplyDelete